The Visual Arts at Maryvale High School are dynamic and enriching. We offer engaging options for students from all levels, from the most inexperienced to the very advanced. We use student feedback, progressive, research-based teaching methods, and critical professional conversation to guide our curriculum, promoting an environment of continual growth. Our most valued feedback comes from the students themselves; we use it to inform us in a variety of ways. We ask ourselves questions like:
What classes can we add to increase creativity, excitement, and curiosity?
What can we do to make the classroom a place where students feel safe, engaged, connected, and challenged?
- How can we embed authentic learning into stimulating projects?
Are we connecting our students to their communities and each other?
What methods can we discover to improve the learning environment?
How can we make learning a meaningful experience for our students?
We use curiosity and experimentation to develop a program that is always improving. Failure is a meaningful part of the learning experience and we teach our students that failure now, may become a breakthrough in the future and is essential to learning. We use that same approach with our curriculum and program development. This motivates us to try new things and creatively solve problems that occur in modern classrooms.
Maryvale High School is excited to introduce our Art Pathway to the surrounding community. This pathway provides an avenue for students who show a deep interest in the visual or performing arts to develop their skills and make meaningful connections during their high school experience. If accepted, this pathway puts incoming students into a specialized cohort of peers who will grow together over their 4 years at Maryvale. Art pathway students have unique opportunities such as:
- Trips to museums, exhibitions, and live performances - experience new things
- After school art activities and events - make new friends
- Guaranteed acceptance into art classes all 4 years of high school - these classes fill fast and space is limited
- Mentorship and application assistance to art scholarships
- Guaranteed seating for visiting artist presentations/performances
- Community art show participation - Maryvale participates in one of the largest public art shows in the country
- The prestigious Arizona Art Seal - This honorable seal is awarded to Arizona art students who have gone above and beyond in the arts throughout their time in high school. This seal is a major accomplishment and is looked upon favorably by college admission offices as well as future employers. The Art Pathway plays a major role in assisting students towards achieving this award.
Interested in applying? Fill out the form below and it will automatically be sent to the department Instructional Lead: Megan Vanbuskirk for approval.
CONNECT WITH US
Meet the team
Megan Vanbuskirk B.F.A, M.Ed: Instructional Lead
Jennipher Tanori B.F.A: Drawing and Painting
Chad Knapp B.F.A, M.Ed: Art
Ressa Mazzocoli B.A, B.F.A, M.Ed: Ceramics
Donny Sanchez B.A, M.Ed: Drawing and Painting
Gabe Ramirez B.A.Ed, M.Ed: Digital Photography
Connect with us on Instagram: Maryvale Instagram
COMPETITIONS AND EXHIBITIONS
We host and participate in a variety of art competitions and art exhibitions annually. Some of which include:
- Annual 8th-grade art competition
- Annual First Friday art walk
- PXU Art competition
- Shemer "Horizons" art exhibition
- Congressional Art Competition
Interested in our scholarship competition? See more details below!
This competition is only open to 8th-graders. We accept up to 3 entries per school and award 3 winners.
Winners will receive:
- A full scholarship to our Art Pathway which covers art fees for up to 4 years of high school
- A gift card from our sponsor, Arizona Art Supply in the amount of $100, $75 or $50
- A gift basket stocked with art supplies
Want more information? Click the link below to connect with us
Thank you for visiting our page, we can't wait to connect with you!