Phoenix Union Governing Board Announces Process, Timeline to Select Interim Superintendent for Next School Year
Recently, longtime Phoenix Union Superintendent, Dr. Chad Gestson, announced his departure to take on the role of founding Executive Director of the Arizona Institute for Education and the Economy at Northern Arizona University. He will continue his commitment to serving families and students, not only locally but also at a state and national level.
The Governing Board is now actively engaged in the process of selecting an Interim Superintendent. During a Special Board Meeting and Executive Session held on the evening of Monday, April 10, a decision was made to open a six-day window for interested candidates to submit their résumé via email. This initial step in the process will allow the board to receive a pool of qualified candidates from which they can select the best fit for the Interim Superintendent position for the 2023-2024 school year.
Phoenix Union is a national model and seeks a qualified and capable leader to carry on the vision and momentum of the district. The Governing Board understands the importance of identifying a leader who exemplifies PXU’s core values and is committed to selflessly serving our students, families, staff, and the broader community.
The selection timeline, per the Governing Board, is as follows:
- Interested and qualified applicants may submit their résumé via email to SuperintendentSearch@PhoenixUnion.org by Sunday, April 16, at 11:59PM.
- The Governing Board will carefully review all the résumés and identify their respective top two candidates by 5:00PM on Tuesday, April 18.
- On the evening of Friday, April 21, at 5:30PM, the Governing Board will discuss top candidates during an Executive Session and identify no more than three finalists.
- Finalists will be notified no later than Monday, April 24. Names of finalists will be made public.
- During an Executive Session prior to the regularly scheduled May 4th Board meeting, finalists will engage in an interview with the Board. After interviews have been completed, the Board will discuss and, ultimately, identify the Interim Superintendent.
- During the regular meeting of the Governing Board, following the Executive Session, the Board will announce its selection of the Interim Superintendent.
- Contract negotiations will take place throughout the month of May.
- At the June 1st Board meeting, the Governing Board will approve the contract with a start date of Friday, June 2, 2023, through June 30, 2024, which includes a one-month overlap with Superintendent Gestson.