AVID at Maryvale
AVID is an elective class that assists students who need academic help (tutoring) in one or more of their classes, and are very determined to attend a four-year university. AVID helps you to improve your study habits and organizational skills. The class also provides tutoring two days a week in the AVID class by students currently attending college. AVID takes you on field trips to colleges and helps with the college applications, scholarships, and the financial aid application process.
AVID is a proven program for college preparation that gives students the skills, tools and attitude to succeed. AVID stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination. The Latin word avidus means "eager for knowledge." AVID prepares students in the academic middle through rigorous curriculum, including AVID elective courses that focus on skills needed for college.
The AVID mission is to ensure that students:
- Succeed in rigorous curriculum
- Complete a rigorous college preparatory path
- Enter mainstream activities of the school
- Increase their enrollment in four-year colleges
- Become educated and responsible participants and leaders in a democratic society