Message from the Principal
Hello Carl Hayden Community!
Welcome to the school year 2021-2022! Due to COVID-19, the last 14 months have been challenging for our community, but as Falcons, we were able to overcome those challenges with grace, patience, and love. We learned new ways to learn, communicate, teach, socialize, and serve the needs of our students and community. We are ready to start the new school year with a focus on Love and Learning! #PXULoveandLearning
This new school year we will continue to apply the new skills that we learned to focus on learning and serving our community with love as we welcome back our students to in-person learning. For the 2021-2022 school year, all students will engage in learning via in-person instruction. Parents may elect to have their student participate in virtual learning (online school) by enrolling them into PXU Digital Academy. Also, we have adopted a new bell schedule and have included it in this communication for your review. Together, we will work towards creating our Ideal Hayden and transforming our community into a school of excellence.
Updates to Health and Safety Protocols
As you may be aware, there have been recent changes to guidance from the State of Arizona and the CDC regarding COVID-19 health and safety protocols. With increased knowledge of the virus and increased access to the COVID-19 vaccine, all the updates have been focused on easing organizational health and safety protocols and increasing self-monitoring and individual’s discretion. Further, we have worked diligently to make vaccines available to all PXU students throughout the summer and will continue into this school year. A flyer regarding student vaccination opportunities is included.
As a result, and effective immediately, PXU’s health and safety protocols will be updated as follows:
- Per the recent Governor's Executive Order 2021-15, Protecting Student Access to Public Higher Education, face masks will be optional and no longer required for students, staff, parents, and community. However, per CDC guidelines persons with certain health conditions and those not vaccinated are encouraged to wear face masks.
- We request that students, staff, parents, and visitors review the PXU COVID-19 Daily Health Screening Questions at home and prior to entering a school campus.
- Based on the answers to the questions, please determine if it is appropriate to attend / enter school or not.
- See attached document at the end of this letter for at home daily health screening questions and process.
- All students, staff, parents, and visitors will practice physical distancing to the extent possible.
- All classrooms, common spaces, office spaces and buses will support physical distancing to the extent possible.
- Campuses will continue to be cleaned daily following CDC guidelines. High touch areas such as doors, door handles, light switches and drinking fountains, will be cleaned frequently throughout the day. This includes each classroom being equipped with disinfectant wipes or spray, paper towels and gloves.
PXU COVID-19 Daily Health Screening Questions
Parents Please Use with Students Prior to Leaving for School
For the health and safety of everyone, all parents are asked to review the following health screening questions with their student(s) each morning, prior to sending them to school:
- Student has not been diagnosed with COIVD-19 by a healthcare provider since they last reported to school: True or False
- Student has not been told to self-quarantine by a healthcare provider since they last reported to school: True or False
- Student does not have one or more of the following symptoms that cannot otherwise be attributed to a non-COVID related, communicable disease or diagnosed health condition:
- Fever of 100.4 degrees or higher, chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, sore throat, muscle or body aches (myalgia) that was not caused by a specific activity (such as a physical exercise), new loss of taste or smell, headache, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea
- True or False
- Student has not come into close physical contact (within 6 feet and for a total period of time of 15 minutes or longer) with someone I/they know has tested positive for COVID-19 since they last reported to school: True or False
If the student can answer all the questions as “True”, the student is to attend school for the day.
If the student is not able to answer all of the questions as “True”, the student must remain home from school for the day and the parent must notify the school of the student’s absence as well as the reason for the absence. It is recommended that the parent / guardian contact a healthcare provider for guidance and information. Parents may also request for information regarding resources and assistance if they believe their child has COVID related symptoms.
As Falcons, we have overcome many challenges that have prepared us to launch this new school year successfully. Together we will work together towards becoming a school of excellence. We can’t wait to see you all back on campus!
Welcome to the 2021-2022 school year!
Assistant Principal of Registration:
Oversees front office, customer service, telephones, attendance, registration, counselors, special education, credits, and graduation requirements.
Secretary: Diana Hernandez, 602-764-3002
Counseling Secretary: Irma Chavarria, 602-764-3015
ESS (Special Education) Secretary: Veronica Rivas, 602-764-3057 & Alejandra Romero 602-764-3055
Assistant Principal of Instruction:
Oversees all testing, technology/website, library, teaching and learning, and instructional vendors.
Secretary: Christina Rodriguez, 602-764-3032
Assistant Principal of Student Opportunities:
Oversees facilities, athletics, clubs, student government, extracurricular activities, and business partnerships.
Secretary: Amber Owens, 602-764-3030
Assistant Principal for Student Success:
Oversees security, safety, discipline, community liason, and social worker.
Secretary: Treisy Lopez, 602-764-3010
Lead Security: Carlos Luna, 602-764-3078
Oversees all assistant principals, managers, and staff.
Principal’s Secretary: Viviana Lopez, 602-764-3035
Sharon Stephens, 602-764-3022
Lourdes Martinez, 602-764-3117
Maricela Pinuelas, 602-764-307