• Financial Aid 101
    For college-bound students, there are three main types of financial aid: 
      Grants award money for college which does not need to be paid back. These are usually difficult to obtain and are often awarded based on the student and family's financial need.
    • Loans are given, typically by the federal government, and need to be paid back at a low rate of interest, after the student has completed college.
    • Scholarships come in many forms and from many sources, from merit-based scholarships and essay contests to awards for being left-handed or designing the best prom dress or tuxedo out of Duck Tape. Some are given directly from the university, while others come from corporations and non-profit foundations. The money must be used for college tuition, room, board, and books, but does not need to be repaid. 

    Grants and Loans

    All college-bound students should apply for grants and loans through the federal government, even if they don't think they will be awarded anything based on financial need. Often, colleges have money to help students, but they cannot award it if a FAFSA application is not on file. FAFSA opens up October 1st every year. Use the link below your Senior year to apply for federal assistance (i.e., grants and loans):


    Resources and Websites