• Scholarships & Other Financial Aid

    There's money out there to help you pay for college! Almost every student who goes to college receives financial aid, but not everyone receives the same kind or the same amount.

    Learn about the different types of financial aid and how to start the aid process. 


    These are federal and state awards set aside for students who need the most help paying for college. Grants do not have to be paid back—they are free money. (Pell Grant maximum for the 2021-2022 school year is $6,495.)

    Scholarships and Waivers

    These are special awards for students who show academic excellence or talent in areas like sports, arts, community service, and more. Scholarships and waivers can come from a college or from businesses and community organizations. Scholarships and waivers do not have to be repaid. Scholarship applications often require additional information including academic transcripts, a resume, and letters of recommendation. Each scholarship has its own requirements, so make sure you research them carefully and pay close attention to their deadlines.

    Student Loans

    These are special loans provided by the federal government. Students borrow money to pay for college but do not have to repay until six months after graduation. These loans typically have low interest rates and flexible payment plans. Most students pay for some of their college costs using student loans.

    Work Study

    Work Study also is funded by the federal government—instead of giving you the money, Work Study requires that you work a part-time job during the school year at your college or with one of its partners. You earn this money, just like any other job, and do not have pay it back after you graduate. There are no federal taxes on Work Study money!

    The federal government pays 75% of your wages for Work Study jobs. That means the employer is motivated to hire you—he or she only has to pay the other 25%. Universities love this, and they often only hire students eligible for federal Work Study, as their budgets may be too tight to pay full wages.

    For more information about federal student aid, watch this video.


    In order to receive any government financial aid, you have to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid or FAFSA. It's an essential first step.

    Watch a video with more info about the FAFSA or visit the FAFSA website and get started.

    Need help with the financial aid process?

    • Connect with your counselor
    • Connect directly with a College Transition Specialist from the Be A Leader Foundation. Call 602-758-8000 or email college.transition@bealeaderfoundation.org.
    • Connect with someone from College Depot. Call 602-261-8847 to set up an appointment.


    College Depot's free scholarship portal is where you'll find information, resources, and PXU's large scholarship database. Begin here.


    The Arizona Community Foundation is the state’s largest provider of private scholarships—more than 100 total. All are competitive and open to students statewide. Begin your application for an ACF Scholarship here.


    Phoenix Union Foundation Scholarship fund was established to provide college scholarships to students of the Phoenix Union High School District who are pursuing a post-secondary education. The Phoenix Union Foundation Scholarship is located in the ACF Scholarship portal here. For more information about this scholarship, download the PDF.