HOOP Of Learning (HOL) Program
The Maricopa Community Colleges District HOOP Of Learning (HOL) Program is a high school to college scholarship bridge program specifically tailored to meet the academic and cultural needs of American Indian Students. HOL focused on empowering our American Indian youth by using the universal concept of a medicine wheel (hence Hoop Of Learning), which focuses on Emotional, Mental, Physical & Spiritual health of well-being.
The goals of South Mountain’s HOOP Program have always been building our next American Indian generation both in academics and empowering self-identity through cultural appreciation. To give the students a competitive, comprehensive advantage in their journey towards higher education. Participants in the HOL Scholarship Program receive the following:
- Bus Passes
- Cultural Activities and field trips
- On-campus experience and resources: tutoring, counseling, library, computer lab, one on one advising and more
HOOP of Learning Program Goals
- Increase high school retention and high school graduation rates
- Increase American Indian participation and matriculation rates into college
- Create the conditions for retaining American Indian students to reach their higher education goals
- Enhance American Indian culturally relevant curriculum
- Increase diversity on the college campuses
- Strengthen external collaboration by establishing and continuing partnerships with American Indian communities, school districts, and other agencies
- Potential students must be an enrolled member of a federal/state recognized American Indian tribe (or in the process of obtaining a census #)
- Currently enrolled in high school (9-12th grade) and provide a current copy of high school transcript
- 2.0 or higher high school Grade Point Average (GPA)
Ready to Apply?
There are two steps to participate in the Hoop of Learning program:
Step 1: Submit the online HOOP of Learning application
- Make sure when applying you provide your Certification of Indian Blood documentation (CIB)
- You will have to create an account
- See the Video Instructions
Step 2: Our HOOP Coordinator will reach out to you with next steps.
Do you have questions regarding HOOP of Learning?
Also you may visit the following website for the most up to date information: https://www.southmountaincc.edu/become-student/early-college/hoop-learning