ESS Parent Engagement Council
In the spring of 2022, PXU kicked off an Exceptional Student Services Parent Engagement Council (PEC)!
Are you interested in being a part of our Parent Engagement Council and serving as a liaison between the district office and your student’s school?
In this role you would:
- Represent your local high school campus and community.
- Help PXU district leadership identify areas of strength and struggle in your local campus and community pertaining to supporting students with disabilities.
- Serve as an agent of change by making recommendations that can help shape and/or reshape programs and services available to students with disabilities.
- Engage in collaborative problem-solving and solutions-oriented strategic planning to help our ESS offices work effectively and efficiently to meet the needs of students and families PXU serves.
Members of the PEC meet monthly from 9:00 am – 12:00 pm. Our meeting schedule for the 2023-2024 school year is:
- July 29, 2023
- August 19, 2023
- September 16, 2023
- October 28, 2023
- November 18, 2023
- December 16, 2023
- January 20, 2024
- February 24, 2024
- March 23, 2024
- April 20, 2024
- May 18, 2024
If you are interested in joining this dynamic, passionate group of parents and guardians, contact the District’s ESS office at 602-764-1025 and ask for Wendy Mann, Director of Exceptional Student Services or simply come to one of our meetings and introduce yourself to other families! For reasonable accommodations, please contact us within 72 hours of the meeting, so we can make the necessary arrangements. We always have a certified Spanish-speaking translator in attendance for our meeting participants.
Need Help? Ask us!
Archived Meeting Documents
- May 20, 2023: Minutes
- March 23, 2023: Minutes
- November 19, 2022: Presentation, Minutes
- October 22, 2022: Presentation
- August 27, 2022: Presentation
These are the current members on the council and the school communities they represent include:
- Herlinda Calderon, Carl Hayden
- Kate Garis, Bioscience
- Cordero Holmes, Maryvale High School
- Lavetta Jackson, Betty Fairfax
- Katie Lasso-Gordoa, Central High School
- Jason Mihalic, Phoenix Coding Academy
- Rita Pardilla, Academies at South Mountain
Click on the links below for information on services PXU provides.
Special Education Section 504 Gifted